Thursday, June 01, 2006

The Perfect Signing Pen...

does not yet exist.

The classic, of course, is the Sharpie. They’re great for signing your name, but they’re too thick for writing anything more than a few words -- legibly, anyway. They also tend to bleed through the thinner paper that publishers have been using in recent years. Sharpie makes an Ultra Fine, but that’s way too thin and scratchy.

Even my favorite general-use writing pen (and yes, I’m a pen-obsessive),the Uni-Ball Vision Elite, isn’t right. Not bold enough.

At the beginning of this tour I found the perfect signing pen, given to me by someone at a Barnes & Noble – a model sold by OfficeMax and marketed under their house brand – but when I went to OfficeMax to buy more, I found that they’d stopped making them.

So the question is, how do I convince the Sharpie people (Sanford, owned by Newell Rubbermaid) to make the classic Sharpie in a somewhat thinner point? Call it the Sharpie Autograph. I’ll bet I could get it into the hands of every bestselling novelist in the country. Come on, folks!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Admin said...

I'm a pen lover too - that's actually how I found your site - searching for a good pen. For what you're doing I would highly recommend you go to an Art Supply store. There are some great permanent (or at least waterproof) pens by Alvin, Staedler, Pentel and others that likely suit your needs on any paper, acid free/archival quality and won't go through the other side of the page.

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home