Monday, June 05, 2006

An airport story

Stopped at the newsstand near my boarding gate at the San Diego Airport to pick up a newspaper. They didn’t have any copies of Killer Instinct on sale (or none left, maybe?), but they had some copies of Company Man in paperback. I saw a guy reach for a copy, pull it down and look at it. I tapped him on the shoulder and said, “I’ll sign that for you if you want – I wrote it.”

He stared at me. “What do you mean, you’re Joseph . . .Finder?” (As usual, he pronounced it wrong. I wonder how long it took before people learned how to pronounce “Crichton.”)

I said, “Right.”

He said, “No way. I don’t believe you.”

I said, “Really, I am.”

“You’re telling me you’re Joseph Finder? I don’t believe it.”

I pulled out my driver’s license.

“Oh, my God,” he said. “You really are Joseph Finder.” He started telling people around him. One by one, people started grabbing copies off the shelf and asking me to sign their books too, until they were all gone.

“Now you’ve actually got to buy the book,” I said. “Don’t put it back or anything.”

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Jason Pinter said...

Great story. I heard David Baldacci speak about a very similar encounter, only the guy he offered to sign for assumed he was legitimately insane and threatened to call airport security.

BTW I'm reading the paperback of COMPANY MAN right now and enjoying it tremendously.

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So how do you pronounce it?

2:13 PM  
Blogger Ellen Clair Lamb said...

Joe's on vacation this week -- on his behalf, it's FINN-der.

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always thought it was pronounced the way it is spelled!!

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home